Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mmmm....Other's Day.

Cruelly falling on Mother's Day this year, was the one month on from the miscarriage.

So, that right there was fun. I'd unsubscribed from most of the baby-centric emails to save myself some heartache but I got bombarded with emails from every company under the sun pushing pink coloured Mother's Day crap on me.

Seriously, they're all aiming now. Fast food restaurants, clothing stores, pop culture shops, fishing stores, car accessories, the local council, gyms... anyone and everyone was like "Hey! Did you know it's Mother's Day and they're like, the best people in the world? Don't you think you should buy them a dinner pack/a new shawl/a Wolverine statue/a freshly spooled reel/a wrench/ an education about a local government initiative or a gym membership?"

I'd expected it but it felt like it was Christmas again and I was the Grinch - trying to avoid it but ultimately being dragged into the thick of things. And.... maybe a little green.



How did I combat this? Well, hubby and I slept in. Yep. We did nothing productive until about 11am when our stomachs rose up in protest together and suggested brunch before all the rioters passed out.

Panda had a big brekky while I said "Flip the darn table, I'm having waffles and ice-cream! ....and a strawberry smoothie!"
Other tables had choccies on them, and older ladies with flowers. Not sure if you had to book to get the choccies or if they only give them out to mother. I don't know how you know though.

Last year for Father's Day, Panda and my younger brother K-Dog were given gifts, and literally no one asked if they were dads. This time, people seemed happy to ignore Panda and I. I don't blame them, looked like it had been a busy morning for the waitstaff.



I had sent the obligatory "mother's day" texts to my friends/family who were in the family way and got a response to all but one, which was a bit weird.

Next on the list, we were invited to a friend's luncheon. These guys are awesome, they totally get us and they've been through the IVF rigmarole too. They don't know much about our story though.
I was a little hesitant about going - as much as I love these guys, their hootenanny's usually include about a ten thousand kid minimum requirement.

We actually got there and were the only ones there. Even beat the homeowners there. Impressive.

So it was just us and our buddies, Krishkat and Charlees.
I liked that a lot better, some other people turned up but for the most part it was a quieter, smaller group. I do a lot better in those situations. Their two kids -  Lols (5) and Tons (2) - paid a lot more attention to us too.

We had given Lols, who is the world's foremost expert on all things Lego and Minecraft - a pirate ship to build and it seemed to have paid off. He even cornered me and seemed keen to talk. I learnt an awful lot about Minecraft. Mostly that everything was trying to kill me, particularly a Mobzilla and a Witherstorm.

He asked a lot of questions about what I thought, and if I'd rather be tail whipped by Mobzilla or Godzilla. I answered Godzilla, of course. Amused, he asked why and I replied that I might stand a chance if Godzilla came at me. He said I'd probably perish either way. I queried where was safe then, in this world of building eating monsters.. and he couldn't answer me comprehensively but did mention there was a slim hope of some diamond crafted weapon but not anytime soon.

Later. I was chosen to play big blocks with Ton. This was a pretty big honour, and I think I did the job pretty well. Krishkat told me I was a wonderful babysitter and seemed pretty pleased with us keeping the kids amused.

Panda did all the uncley things like tickle fights and pretending to chase or lose the kids somewhere, which went down very well indeed. I was too anxious about my legs to do that. They're getting better, there's less pain and I can lie down without being miserable... but I still have no feeling in them APART from pain when someone bumps me.

Am I ever going to get feeling back in my legs? Who knows.

After a while we had to head out and see my mother in law, Faze, and took her out to dinner.
As it turns out, I didn't get time to see my own mother. I did, however, pick them up from their holiday the day prior and we went out with them that night. I figured they'd be exhausted.


All in all... the day wasn't so bad. I'm grateful to have the friends and family I do because they definitely made what could have been a horrible depressing day into a fun, if busy, outing.
I may have missed out on this year's celebrations personally, but I will get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment