Friday, April 21, 2017

Sneaking backstage at the Lab Tour!


"You'll never guess where I've been!"

So last week, I took up the option that was offered to me at the IVF information night - a chance to go behind the scenes at the clinic itself and investigate their shady dealings with folk like me..
Wait, no, that was the previous week. This time it was honestly just to check out the techniques and so forth at the clinic.

I was able to drag hubby to it too... he initially wasn't keen, especially after work. I guess it's not exactly the hot nightlife we normally shun. 
There was a point where I was doubting if it was worth going but then I put my foot down because it's important that we're both involved in this process, I was curious about what we were going to see and I wanted to eat out at some of the nice restaurants out that way.



My working hours allow me time off to go to these things during the day but then I have to remember and explain things to hubby later on, or bury him alive under the tonnes of fascinating paperwork we have to absorb so I felt this was the kindest, easiest option. 


So we got there kinda earlier than we needed to be but traffic and parking around there are Satan spawn and much like a family reunion, we felt it best to avoid them by blending into the scenery and at the same time going for a Pokemon Go! session. 

We made sure we got there on time, and sat in a little waiting room with another lady and a couple. They were all very nice and friendly but it was a bit weird because all of them including our cheerful lab guide were all short and petite. The problem was that we were both towering over everyone in that room. Hubby is tall but I am most certainly not and as such I was not used to being in that position. 



Anyway, it was fun to go behind the scenes. All of the... I want to say cryogenic freezing chambers - were named in themes.. i.e. cartoon characters from The Flintstones or characters names from Friends which is something *I* would do, so it was one of the first things I noticed in the room. 

We got to see all of the equipment used. I think I was most surprised at the machine they use to catch a sperm by the tail. The lab guide had a massive joystick like thing on this contraption and as he waggled it earnestly he explained that all these movements would only correlate to a tiny, tiny motion on the machine. 

We also got to see actual sperm doing their thing, practising for the sexual Olympics in their lab size pool. 



It was a bit like this but the ones we saw were very lively. Obviously, the ones you see not moving as well or not moving at all are probably duds. Or just very lazy. 

Fortunately, we did not see any of these.
We also had a lot of slides passed around the group - some were charts, one was an example of lab technicians filling in a daily report about the baby making progress, some were the actual sticks that go into the freezers, others were slides with dots to mark how big the embryos would be etc.




They also explained the difference between 'normal' IVF - where they place the sperm in a swanky bachelor pad where the egg is waiting seductively, give them some romantic music and candles, along with some privacy - and ICSI where they set up the best sperm they can find and set him off on a blind date with our lucky egg, physically injecting him into her. 

There was a lot of discussion about their stringent quality standards - what they consider good and bad and that they wouldn't consider going ahead with anything if they were not satisfied with the quality of the materials. They also said that they wanted to make sure everything was safe as well, and advised that nothing like Octomom's scenario would happen here in Australia due to a higher level of  regulations as generally having twins or multiple babies with IVF could be extremely risky. 
Emergency situations were a talking point as well - what would happen if there was a power cut or similar. 


We also got to see the men's pumping room and the ladies pump-in room which was about what you would expect. Personally, I think seeing all of these things made the idea that we'll be going through this soon.... just a little bit more tangible and real. 

My husband and I found the session really informative, surprisingly relaxed and extremely interesting. It was also free, which is always nice. If you get a chance to go to one of these, I would definitely recommend it!








No comments:

Post a Comment