Wednesday, February 01, 2017

MRI? My MRI? My MRI through MRI own eyes

To make sure we were definitely on the right track and to rule out other deviants like certain hormones being possibly blocked... I was sent for an MRI.

I didn't really know what to expect because all you hear is bad noise about MRI's.
That's also a pun about the process because basically all MRI's do is make noise. And I guess, as a secondary function, scan you for stuff.


Anyway, here I am lying on this surprisingly comfy bed, they give me a pillow for under my knees (Comfort? Abundance of pillows? Decor?) so that's nice. As well as that, there;s ear plugs and some over ear headphones to listen to the radio with in a futile attempt to drown out the machines....or possibly to placate me? Then they sort of ruin it by giving me a Hannibal Lecter headpiece which I'm sure even my attractive face couldn't make work.


Now the noise... I didn't expect the variety. 

There was your standard loud noises like The Jackhammer, The Steam Train, The Old Dial-Up Modem, The Insane Pedestrian Crossing, The One Who Knocks.... but what I didn't expect was the EDM.
It was actually damn catchy. 



And I'm stuck here trying not to bop my head along because it's either this MRI dub-step mix or the shit on the radio. I mean, the first songs they played were great but then it dissolved into boy bands and sappy crap. I'm not claustrophobic but being trapped with that was starting to make me want to press the panic button. 



I found that I kept unknowingly tensing up around my shoulders and at around the 30 min mark my hands (clasped over my stomach) were beginning to tire. I also regretted wearing a dress because it was tempting to just sprawl my legs since I was lying prone for like 45 min holding them together but I restrained myself because the MRI attendees were so nice.  


I had been imagining the worst being like this to be honest! Fortunately, there is a surprising amount of room in there. They add a mirror to your face mask for some reason. I closed my eyes though because if I stare too deep into my own eyes, magic happens, you know?


So this is what you get out of it (these pictures aren't mine though!) Which is pretty fascinating to look at.  
 I haven't looked at mine yet but I kinda can't wait to!



Anyway, if you feel unsatisfied with my abstract review of the MRI experience, here's some sites that may help.

MRI Master walks you through some things you can be checked for, what it looks like afterwards and for yourself, and basically what happens in the process.

MRI Questions has a handy bit in here with some demonstrations of the noises if you want a heads up along with some technical information about why they be so damn noisy!

No comments:

Post a Comment