Sunday, July 02, 2017

New Born Baby Bombshell

So yesterday I got delivered a bombshell - my elder sister and her husband are now expecting a wee baby girl at the end of the year.


Unfortunately, my husband and I wasn't able to be present to hear the news in person but the next day my mother was able to come around with the card telling us we're going to be babysitters and showing an ultrasound picture or two and a little gift of candy. 

I honestly thought that even with our struggles, we'd beat them to doing it because they'd never really mentioned that they were trying. Mind you, we haven't told anyone either so that makes sense. Of course, we're super happy for them. I'm a little worried that even with this news, I'm still going to get the expected Spanish Inquisition of 'when am I going to have a baby' bullshite.

There is a chance I might get overlooked in this though. Being the middle child, I am pretty much overshadowed by her. She's smarter, more financially stable, more confident, more successful and heck, a lot fitter than I am.
She can even paint her nails without cocking it up like I do inevitably!
People and relatives may just swarm over her news and ignore asking me about it.

Then I can get back to lurking in my shadows and being creepy, like my usual status quo.
I feel like I'm throwing her under the bus in this but I really hope this is the case and people give her the correct attention appropriate to her situation and not spend it asking me when I'm going to get up the duff like it's *just* that simple and I get to rack my brain to think of an answer that won't destroy me emotionally or attack this person or relative verbally like I'm already doing in my head.


I am happy for them though. I have to admit that I had hoped I would have been pregnant by now but it's not a competition. she's my older sister, it's natural that she gets to be the first to do everything - get a phone, get a car, get a job, get her wisdom teeth out, graduate, move out, get married, have a baby..  Then I come along and also do these things albeit usually not as smoothly so no one really cares haha.

I will be extremely pissed off if my sister in law gets pregnant before me though. I ain't gonna lie.
We were there at a dinner where her new partner's sister was present - and she asked them when they were going to have a kid. I'm sitting there like - yo, they've been dating for like six months... WTF?

I'm a big believer in giving things time - My partner and I have been together for years before getting married and even though it was probably longer than needed, it ensured we'd been through a lot together, good and bad, rich and poor, all that jazz. So we knew we were meant to be. Getting married or having a baby isn't something you can just jump into without knowing that you can cope properly.

So yes, while my younger sister in law is finally in a rewarding relationship with a nice dude - I will probably throttle both of them if they beat us to the punch.


No comments:

Post a Comment